Thursday, May 12, 2005

Apparently, I am a "petulant spoiled brat"

I really can't even blog about this right now, I am so mad. However, those of you out there should read this opinion ( and I use that word loosely) article that appeared in the local newspaper yesterday.
I have since cancelled my subscription, emailed both the editor and her boss, and have emailed everyone local I know to also cancel their subscriptions in support of teachers. Many teachers at my school are doing the same thing as well.
Tell me what you think - am I really a "petulant spoiled brat" - if I am - what makes me one?

Background for this:
Our school board is considering lengthening the schoolday and had a "work" session to discuss this matter with the public and with teachers. Teachers apparently did show up to impress upon the school board how much time we already spend outside of class grading and preparing for the day. Our "normal" hours are: 7:30 AM - 3 PM, and we have about 45 minutes after kids leave to do work at school. So, if they lengthen the day, we will have 5 minutes of planning time before school to prep for our classes, and no after school time to do any work. Anything after 3 PM is unpaid - we are not even given comp time for use later as vacation. If we did - the school board would be bankrupt and have more subs in classrooms than teachers. Oh - and they won't pay us any more for the increase in the amount of contact time with students.

2 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, May 12, 2005, Blogger Sascha said...

I didn't read the article, but I have a couple of observations to make:

Where I work, as a salaried employee, I'm expected to be here for 9 hours, usually 8-5 at the very least. If I don't take 1 hour of personal time for lunch, that's my problem. I'm still expected to be in the office for 9 hours each day.

Also, I carry a pager 24x7 in off hours and have a required response time of 15 minutes.

On the other hand, they pay me an assload of money (something I've heard that teachers don't get).

Personally it's torture for me to spend any time with kids. I don't know how you do it. They couldn't pay me enough money.

 
At 10:08 PM, May 12, 2005, Blogger N.F. said...

I'm wondering who this lady is? Is SHE a teacher? Does she have ANY CLUE what goes on in a classroom each day? I wish I was in Florida so that I could cancel my subscription, too. :) KEEP THE FAITH! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home