Sunday, August 14, 2005

Roommate??

I'm thinking about taking a roommate - for a couple of reasons - and there are pros and cons to it that I need to think about - especially with this particular person.

Reasons why I'm thinking about it:
1) Money - it's going to a be a little tight now that I am only doing one job - at least until December. I am making more money, but it isn't enough to cover unforeseen things that may happen (i.e. the window breaking in my car - which C is going to fix for me tomorrow for free once I get the part :)
2) Companionship - it would be nice to have someone around to talk to periodically and have a person here, rather than the phone. I love my dog dearly, but it just doesn't cut it some days, especially now that I am working full time from home - adult contact is important!
3) Maintenance - it would be nice to have someone to help me around the house when something breaks and I feel like an idiot for not knowing how to fix it.
4) Pet care - my brother will always take Jedi for me when I leave, but the cat is another story. It would be great to have someone here to help with that if possible.

Cons:
1) Who - it would be C - which is not a bad thing EXCEPT: he has full custody of one of his kids that stays with him during the week and he has custody of his other three on the weekends. They are older, so it wouldn't be too bad - weekends would be a little interesting with the three of them around. During the week I don't think it would be a problem.
2) Furniture - I would have some major reorganizing and moving stuff around between now and September (when his current lease is up). I would also have to get rid of the desk that I currently have - again not a big deal since I hate it; and maybe buy a sleeper sofa - again, not a big deal b/c I would like new living room furniture. Yes, I know - I'm taking a roommate to help with expenses, and I'm thinking about spending more money. Yes, I'm insane - but I think it could work. I have enough to pay cash for the desk and 1/2 cash for the sofa.
3) Money - I'm not really comfortable taking $$ from a friend - it would be weird. I can't even talk about it with him right now - it's just weird.
4) Pets - he also has a dog. I know Jedi is okay with it, but I'm not sure how my cat will react.

So, C and I have talked about it tonight, along with some advice from my second mom before I talked to him, and he's going to come over one night this week so we can see if anything will work - especially with the furniture. I want to get rid of some of mine, and he wants to get rid of a lot of his, so it might work out okay. Some of his stuff will have to go into storage though - either in a storage place here or to his parent's house on the west coast. We've also decided to maybe try it this coming weekend with the kids here and see how it works - if it works or not. Then, we've agreed to maybe try it until December, then sit down and talk it out. If either one of us is uncomfortable, then he finds another place and no hard feelings - so it's really about 3 months that we would try it and see what happens. He knows that I'm planning on moving around August or September next year, but I also know he may have his own branch to manage by then or before then, so he may even be gone before I move out.

So, all you lovely readers out there..... advice here would be welcome. I've never really had a roommate except for a couple of years in college - and for two of them, I was living with my ex-husband and one of his friends, so I don't know if that counts. I've only ever lived with my ex in a house, and then have lived on my own for the past four years, and for another year and a half when we first broke up after I graduated from college.

C is a little happy about this - I can tell in his voice. I also know he really doesn't like where he lives. The neighborhood is not great and if it were just him w/o the kids, it wouldn't be a problem. Here, there is a playground and kids in the same age groups as his, so it would be safer for them and he wouldn't worry so much about them being outside or playing outside. So, comments? Suggestions? I've given this alot of thought, and we've (C and I) have kind of discussed it a little bit over the past couple of weeks, but I've been really hesitant, and C has not pushed (which is another thing I love about him). But today, I broached the subject in a serious manner, so he knows I'm really considering it. I don't joke about things like that.

4 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, August 14, 2005, Blogger Sascha said...

Don't ask me. I'm still traumatized by last year's live-in boyfriend.

 
At 7:28 PM, August 15, 2005, Blogger N.F. said...

I see that you have 4 pros and 4 cons...that blows my idea because I was going to tell you to go with the one that had MORE! :) I'd say, "What does your gut tell you?" then move on that feeling. Good luck. :)

 
At 11:30 PM, August 15, 2005, Blogger PC said...

I've been debating getting a roomate myself. I have no advice, I haven't decided myself.

 
At 2:01 AM, August 17, 2005, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said...

Hmmmmm..... My roommates shed, want to be fed at 4am and fight at midnight. Think you will have this problem? If not..... For it, I would go...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home