Thursday, December 01, 2005

My evil plan is working......

The background of how the idea for the evil plan came about:
My step-nephew does not like to read. For someone like me, who devours books, this is anathema!!! (I think I used that one right!). So, I came up with "The Plan" - aka my evil plan to get my step-nephew to read and hopefully begin enjoying it more.....

Chronicles of Narnia comes out soon, and I will be going to visit my dad in Georgia over the holidays. So, I bribed my step-nephew: if he read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" BEFORE I got there AND he called or emailed me each week with what he thinks about what he's read, how he likes it, his favorite part of the chapter, etc. AND I keep up with him reading it (not really difficult, but he doesn't know that! hence the evil plan in action), then I will take him to see the movie and buy him as much junk food as he can eat in during the movie. His mom can go with us if he wants, or it can just be the two of us.

IT'S WORKING!!! He called me tonight and told me he's already done with Chapter 1 AND he is trying to visualize what he is reading while he's reading it AND he gave me an example.

Damn! but I am a good Aunt!! LOL!!!!!!!!! I love him, really.....

The kicker - he is also not doing well in science - again, NOT good to hear as a science teacher. So, next year if I am up there, as I hope to be, I WILL be volunteering at his school in his science teacher's classroom during his class time so I can see what is being taught and help him with it as much as I can. He's starting to not like science and it used to be his favorite. In all honesty - from what his mom has told me about his class this year - his teacher is really terrible. I'll elaborate later on that as I learn more when I go up to visit.

Evil me!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!

2 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, December 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it, love it, love it!!!!
:)

 
At 12:03 PM, December 10, 2005, Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Good job! Now on the science. Ask him where baking soda comes from. Ask where vinegar comes from. Ask what happens when you put tampon in top of pop bottle with a tablespoon of vinegar and a teaspoon of baking soda.....


It's my favorite and I have never done it...LOL..I make the kids find it all out for me then give them a Tampax....lol. The cardboard sleeves should be collapsed first...have fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home