Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Two ways to climb out of hell......

Okay, I need some serious help here. Part of this is written so I can come back to it in a couple of days and look at my initial feelings (because they are usually correct, but I can't think straight at the moment) and the other reason for this is to get some feedback from anyone out there....

I am currently in, what I affectionately call, hell (my job). I love what I do (most days), but absolutely hate where I do it. Example: my email is read by my boss, I (and everyone else) are treated like idiots and are not trusted. Morale is in the toilet and no one cares. So, I've been exploring other career paths to get out of hell before next year (new contract). And, as they say, when it rains, it pours - so here is the thunderstorm....

I've had an informal interview with a company for a job that I have very little experience in doing right now. I am working towards a master's degree in this field, and eventually want to work in this industry. The main reason for this change is I am getting tired of my current career, and I see things happening that are not good for education right now and I'm not sure I want to be a part of it. The second reason is that I work two jobs to support myself, and I'm tired (been doing it for 4 years) and I would like to be a "normal" person and not have two jobs any more.

So, I've been called to come in for a formal "meeting" with this company. Here are some of the ups: much better pay, and I would not have to work two jobs, I'd be working in the field that I want to be in eventually, I would be treated like a professional and there is opportunity for upward growth - not just in salary but in position and recognition. I could still be creative and be mentally challenged (two things that I have to have to stay sane).
Here's the downs: I'd have to quit my current job with 2 weeks notice. Now, that might sound good BUT I teach an AP class - I made a committment to prepare these kids for a test in May - especially after the absolute wonderful field trip I had with them today, I really don't want to leave - but there are ways around that if I choose (study sessions on weekends at the local libray with me). Also, I have a great opportunity to work out of state for 4-6 weeks this summer. I loved doing this last year and have made a committment for this year. I've not signed a contract yet, but they are expecting me and if I get offered this position and take it, I may not be able to take this summer job and risk my reputation. Third, grad school - I'm not sure how their hours would work with my schedule. Right now, I've got it pretty good to be able to come home, relax, work my second job (it's flex time at home) and then get to grad school at night. Finally, I'd be giving up a $4000 bonus for mentoring time with my current school if I quit mid year. The mentoring does not take much effort on my part - and that's a big chunk of change that I could seriously use right now. Thought of another - it's a longer drive to their office downtown on toll roads - again, worried about grad school and also the extra $$ each month in tolls and gas (right now, I am a mile from my job and can ride my bike in to work if I want - DC - I know, it's only a mile, but I don't ride as much as you yet! LOL)

Okay, now here's dilemma #2: another school I interviewed at earlier this year for one position has just called me tonight and informally offered me a different position there. Ups to this one: I could finish out the year in hell, still go out of state this summer, and get my mentoring money. I would also have a dream schedule of nothing by AP and honors kids (right now - I have mostly regular kids and they SUCK most days - not all of them, but enough that it makes it hard for me to get out of bed somedays). Another up - grad school would not be affected at all - I could still go full time on both degrees that I'm working on.
Downs to this job: I'd take about a $2000 pay cut (it's in a different county and they don't pay as well). I'm not real keen on the person that's in the main position at the school, but I could probably live with it for a year. I wouldn't be able to work the full 6 weeks at the out of state job that I want to work - I could only do the first 3-4 and have to come home. It's a little bit of a drive to the new school, but no tolls involved. Finally, it's really hard starting over in a new school. I've done it twice and it's sucked both times. Oh, and one more - I'd have to keep working 2 jobs for at least another year - UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's been 4 already. Plus, I have to be concerned if for some reason they decide to let go of me. I don't see that as happening, but life has a way of throwing these little curve balls at you sometime when you least expect it!!!!

Option 3 - to stay in hell - simply not an option. I need to get out of there before I scream. I hate the way we are treated and it's demoralizing and degrading. That's the real reason why I just can't get up in the AM - I hate my boss (we call him "skippy" or "MM = mini-me" b/c he's so short - he's like 5'5" and he has a Napoleon complex - it's terrible and we all hate him - we have these nicknames so if we are in the hall talking - we can discuss him in "code" - you know it's bad when you have absolutely no respect for your boss, b/c you know he has no respect for you. Oh, I would never be disrespectful to his face, and I've always been professional, but behind closed doors it's a different story).

So, thoughts, opinions??? I am in need of serious help. One way or another, I'm leaving hell (hopefully not in a handbasket!), but I need to decide the best path out of hell. HELP!!!!!